The Energy and Waste Action Plan will ensure our organization meets its long term energy and landfill waste reduction goals.
- As of July, 2016 baseline metrics were completed for electric and natural gas, waste and recycling, gasoline and turf management which will assist in tracking our goals.
- As of August, 2016, Laurel Hill and West Laurel Hill are 90% converted to LED lighting.
- Quarterly staff recycling education sessions have been implemented.
- September, 2016, West Laurel Hill introduced a solar power mower - testing area is located in front lawn of funeral home.
- Test gardens of Lily grass were planted at our sister cemetery, Laurel Hill and will be evaluated in Spring, 2017.
- West Laurel Hill is currently looking into solar as a method of improving energy efficiency
New for 2017, West Laurel Hill and Laurel Hill recently purchased state of the art liquid spray systems for pre-treatment of roads and walkways, significantly reducing the amount of salt required to safely remove snow and ice hazards. The spray equipment is mounted on our trucks for the roadways and on walk-behind units for walkways. The newly developed product, ProMelt Ultra 1000, in liquid form reduces the effective temperatures for traditional salt and other snow melting compounds and helps to prevent the bond between the road and walkway surface and snow or ice. WLH and LH are following the lead of other environmentally friendly organizations such as the Philadelphia Zoo and the University of Pennsylvania in seeking solutions to increase safety with an more environmentally friendly approach. Today’s storm is our first use of the new equipment and compound and is part of a company wide Sustainabilitiy Program for our cemeteries and funeral home.